Wool is a natural fiber.
Wool is obtained by shearing fleece (hair) from sheep and other animals. There are other animals from which wools are also collected like angora rabbit, cashmere goat, alpaca camel, yak, and llama. Farming of animals is done for cultivating wool fibers.
In the environmental science (EVS) class, it is a common subject students need to learn about various applications (end-uses) of wool fiber. In this essay, you will know about the various use of wool.
1. carpets – Wool is also used in making carpets.
2. Soft furnishings and beddings
3. felt fabrics.
4. hard crafts items – Woolen yarns are used for hand embroidery work. For making floor mats, table cover mats, and mats for covering home items.
5. Woolen yarns: Woolen yarns are made of wool. These woolen yarns are used for making handmade sweaters, caps, and gloves. Wools are available in various colors and shades.
6. Woolen clothes: Wool is used in making different clothes including high-end suits (coats and trousers). The cardigan, sweaters, fleece items, underwear, and socks are made of wool. Even t-shirts and shirts are made of wool (woolen fabric). Woolen clothes give better warmth compared to clothes made of other fibers like cotton, silk, and polyester. Due to its properties of absorbing moisture and insulating against heat and cold.
8. To make Quilts and blankets – In winter, we love sleeping under soft and warm quilts. Do you know what is used inside the quilts? Those are wool fibers. Wool is used in making blankets. In India, woolen blankets are commonly used to cover the body from cold in the winter.